Nikon S8100 Review
The Nikon Coolpix S8100 is one of the newer cameras in the point and shoot category that seems to impress many new and experienced photographers. It certainly gives a run for the money as one of the best cameras in it’s class. It’s main feature is the low light shooting capabilities that it offers. It can give some fairly decent quality shots at lower light settings compared to other point and shoots. Even without manual adjustments, the auto mode can provide great pictures. It also gives crisp zoom performance, high resolution and pleasing LCD display, and also shoots in a great 1080p video.
Nikon S8100 Features
As mentioned, low light shooting is impeccable. As you may have noticed, that using flash usually makes the photo look unnatural and overly bright. The Nikon S8100 can shoot great quality low light/dim setting photos without flash. It provides great quality in auto mode only, you will definitely be satisfied with what it can put out.
This camera shoots at 12 mega pixels only, lower than the S8000 but there is no loss of quality whatsoever. Mega pixel ratings are completely overrated as it makes very little difference when it comes to screen viewing.
The 10x optical zoom performance is quite good. If you like to have zoom, this has one of the better rated performance in that area. In addition, you can turn up the digital zoom which surprising offers great quality without much (or any) noise.
As for recording, the full 1080p HD video is much better than most other point and shoots around. Comparable to that of DSLRs.
One of the best features for many people is it’s 3 inch LCD display. The viewing is quite clear and at a high resolution that is just pleasing to the eye.
S8100 Good vs Bad
- High quality low light shooting that captures great photos at just about any time of the day without overly depending on the flash.
- Great zoom quality with very low noise addition, that can be turned up by adding the digital zoom.
- High resolution and clear LCD display.
- Top notch video recording for all the filmmakers out there.
The Drawbacks Of The Nikon S8100
- A bit larger than other cameras in it’s class. Some people want smaller cameras, but this does seem to be a hair larger than others I’ve seen around.
- No manual controls for those that want to be able to adjust the exposure and shutter speed.
What Others Have To Say (reviews were rewritten for uniqueness)
On of the BEST camera in its class I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had quite a few: Sony, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic, Nikon cameras that were in similar category and price range. This is classified as a point and shoot, there are some pre-settings you have to know about. This is more of an advanced point and shoot camera in my opinion. – Optional
The pictures come out crystal clear and in true color. The new low light and night time shooting abilities are the best I’ve seen in a compact camera that’s not a DSLR. With the 10x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. As well it records at HD 1080p video. All these features under one small package, how can you beat that? The camera comes in a red color which is absolutely gorgeous. The pictures you see doesn’t do it justice.
- D.R Read more reviews…
The Bottom Line
The Nikon S8100 is offered at a great price for such a quality camera. For many people, it was well worth the wait, as it had been anticipated by many photographers for quite some time. The S8100 has been around for over a few months now.
Where To Buy The Nikon S8100
Great price for new and used on sale at amazon right now. The return policy and customer service is great. **Click here to get a great deal on the Nikon Coolpix s8100 at Amazon.
Nikon S8100 Price Comparison
Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red)
Full Nikon P500 Specifications and Other Features
- 12.1-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 10x wide-angle optical Zoom-Nikkor ED glass lens
- 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution LCD Display
- Full HD (1080p) Movie with Stereo and HDMI Output
- Close up to 0.4 inches Macro shooting
- Advanced Function Smart Portrait System
- Smile Timer feature which automatically triggers the shutter when your subject smiles.
- Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects red-eye as you shoot.
- Face-Priority AF. Nikon’s face-finding technology automatically detects up to 12 faces.
- Skin Softening automatically smoothes skin tones at for optimal portraits; can be applied during shooting or playback.
- Blink Warning an alert that tells you if a subject was blinking
- 17 Scene modes including Scene Auto Selector
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you’re shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
- 220 still shots (approx.) with supplied EN-EL12 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
- Width: 2.4 inches
- Height: 1.2 inches
- Weight: 0.46 pounds
- Optical Sensor Resolution: 12.1 MP
- Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
- Optical zoom: 10 x
- Maximum Aperture Range: F/3.5-5.6
- Minimum focal length: 5.4 millimeters
- Maximum focal length: 54 millimeters
- Lens Type: Zoom lens
- Optical Sensor Size: 1/2.3″
- Included Flash Type: Pop-up flash
- Display Size: 3.000 inches
- Light Sensitivity: ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO 160, ISO auto (160-800), ISO auto (160-400), ISO 1600, ISO auto (160-3200), ISO 3200
- Image types: JPEG
- Shooting Modes: Frame movie mode
- Viewfinder Type: None
|Nikon S8100 Price Comparison|
|Nikon Coolpix S8100 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red)|